There are many things that you can do if you want to help homeless animals.
- Always adopt, never buy from a breeder. By some estimates 8,000 animals are euthanized every day in the United States. Until that number is much lower, every pet purchased from a breeder encourages them to breed more animals and shelter animals die. Since breeding is for monetary gain, many of the breeding animals are kept in substandard conditions.
- Volunteer at your local shelter. Walk dogs, play with kittens, or just spend time with the animals. They crave human interaction and it can make their stay at the shelter much easier.
- Transport rescue animals. Many times all it requires to save an animal’s life is a change of address. Just do what you can and you will make a difference.
- Fostering animals many times is the difference between them surviving homelessness or not. Most of the animals are sweet and loving and just need a chance to relax and show their fabulous personalities. Fostering a litter of kittens or puppies can be more fun than you ever imagined. The rescue will supply you with everything you need to be successful.
- Donate money, blankets, food, cleaning products, pee pads or any other items that may be needed.
- Educate everyone you know about what it means to be a responsible pet owner.